Friday, January 26, 2007

A treasure within us, and yet we don't see it

I fetched my sisters to their former secondary school this morning as they wanted to collect some certificates and the yearbook, and while waiting for them i sat in the small hut and read a book about the bowing pilgrimage of DM Heng Sure and Heng Chau. Indeed inspirational.

I learnt a number of things today after reading that book. First of all, i learnt to 'really' live in the present, without being bothered by thoughts of the past nor the future. And i discovered that by doing so, there's an inner sanctuary that i can retreat to where i find peace. Not only that, i noticed things around me which i've never noticed before! I saw the little fat sparrow sitting on a rock few meters away from me studying my actions. I finally found the bird that made that melodious call - the magpie! Just sitting there taking in the breeze, the sunshine and the smells around me is a wonderful experience.

The other thing i learnt today is that within each of us we have this compassionate and kind heart, but its hidden in a very remote corner, deep down inside us. Why do i say so? Ever notice how our compassion becomes obscured by things and happenings around us that we have become blinded to the calls of this little heart? It suddenly dawned upon me today, this little heart of ours. And it surfaced when i was just quietly comtemplating the things around me, suddenly feeling this compassion arising in me for everything. Now i finally see how caught up we are with worldly affairs!

Wonder what lesson will i learn next time? Till then! =)

No comments: