Friday, January 19, 2007

The beginning of my spiritual journey...

I still remember the time when i first encountered Buddhism. It was this weekday morning when me, my mum and sisters dropped by the temple in Jalan Ampang to offer some incense. It was about 10.30 or so, and the Meal Offering session was about to start (or had it started? i can't remember..) and it was our first time experiencing it. And we thought, "hey, that's a very melodious tune, why not stay for the session?" And thats how we started on our spiritual journeys.

I wasn't a very spiritual person back then. All i knew was lighting incense as offering and observing vegetarian diets on the 1st and 15th days of each lunar month. I viewed life as it is, living each day doing the things i want to do, and never thought much about the world. Sometimes i even take things for granted. I thought that as long as the people i care about are happy, then everything will be fine.

But i was wrong, so very wrong. I learnt a lot during the time when i was very sick and on the verge of collapsing. That was the worst period ever, it brought down my confidence, it brought down my abilities, it left me walking around with a constant fear. It started with a soft drink and after jogging, i was left totally bloated - to the point that i couldnt breathe normally.

I thought, maybe something's not right with my lungs. I skipped school the next day to see a doctor. The doctor told me that i had a very sluggish stomach. I was more relieved and after that, i took a normal lunch.

But things hadn't gotten any better. The food in my tummy wasn't digested properly, and i felt like vomitting. I was freaked out and very worried. Couldnt eat properly and the acid from my tummy surged up to my throat, burning the muscles. That render me totally helpless since the muscles couldnt coordinate and i couldnt swallow properly - every bite i took, i was in fear of choking myself. Losing 12 pounds in a week was too much.

Because of this my body started losing nutrients. I wasn't the 'me' before, not as active, not as capable to run around actively, i couldnt even attempt my favourite sport! Thus i lost confidence in myself totally. I wondered if i was going to be like this for the rest of my life. I was on medication for more than a month! I wondered when i was going to get well, and if my future was that bleak.

Like mentioned, i was never a religious person. But after going through all those, i decided to turn to the spiritual side for healing. I read articles from the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua and the miracles of healing, and i thought, maybe i should give it a try. I placed a glass of water on the Bodhisattva's altar every night and recited in the name of Medicine Master Buddha as well as the Great Compassion Mantra. Then i took the blessed water.

Miraculously, by a week i could eat things normally - when a month of medication couldnt do me any good! Since then i started to believe in the power of prayers and i have started cherishing this spiritual journey. I was introduced to the Dharma and i learnt so many things which i never knew about before in the Sutras. My perception was literally opened up. And i gained a better understanding of how things work in the world. I learnt how we came into this world, and where we will be going after death. I learnt how the things we do now affect the events yet to come. Most importantly, i learnt what life is about.

I was changed, and for the better. I learnt how to be aware of the world around me. Since embarking on this spiritual journey, i have heard and read of many miracles and experienced many blissful moments, not to mention the many times that my prayers have been answered, which most of the time, left me stunned. The Dharma pervades everywhere, and it couldnt be truer - we learn from everything around us.

And that was the beginning of my spiritual journey. May peace and happiness be with all! =)

No comments: